Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Long Stewed Red Kale
Source: Alice Water's Vegetables BOOK (Entered by Justin Ellis)
This is my favorite kale recipe, and with bacon, cream and lemon zest in the ingredient list you can guess why.
1 slice bacon
3 cloves garlic
2 lbs red kale
1/2 cup cream
1/2 lemon grated zest
salt and pepper
Step by Step Instructions
- Cut bacon into small dice and render on low heat until brown about 8 minutes.
- Dice carrots, onion and garlic and add to bacon with splash of water.
- Cover and stew for about 10 min. until onion is translucent.
- Wash and chop kale coarsely. Can add other winter greens
- Add kale to vegetables at med-high heat for about 10 min and a pinch of salt. Kale will give off a lot of water.
- After nearly all water is evaporated add half the cream and simmer until it is absorbed completely.
- Add other half of cream and simmer again until absorbed. Add zest and serve.